In year’s past, I haven’t done much a personal “Best-Of” list at year’s end. I have left that up to others, mainly due to the stress level inherent with such a task. This year, I contributed a list to multiple outlets, so I figure I would share my ballot with you here. What you see below is really a big group of my favorite albums, versus an actual list of albums I think are better than other albums. Over the course of the year, I listen to a few hundred records, easily. Rarely a day goes by where I don’t pop in a new disc that may or may not see some “ink” on this blog. From that large number of records, I actually enjoyed well over 100 of them, I imagine.
The sad fact of the matter, for many reasons, there were many records I liked that I never found the time to actually say much about here on Twangville. I said all that to say this. These 25 albums could’ve easily been higher or lower than they are here. On different days, I feel like certain choices were wrong, but this is what I’m going with…for now, at least.
1. Avett Brothers – I and Love and You: Indie darling’s go big-time with major label and super-producer. The tight melodies and trademark, emotionally charged and poetic writing prove there was nothing to worry about.
Here are the rest of my favorites for the year (basically 3a – 3x)…
3. Heartless Bastards – The Mountain
4. Miranda Lambert – Revolution
5. Allen Thompson – 26 years
6. Telegraph Canyon – The Tide & The Current
7. Deer Tick – Born on Flag Day
8. Buddy & Julie Miller – Written in Chalk
9. Ryan Bingham – Roadhouse Sun
10. Gina Villalobos – Days on Their Side
11. Band of Heathens – One Foot in the Ether
12. The Takers – Taker Easy
13. Wilco – Wilco (The Album)
14. Roman Candle – Oh Tall Tree In the Ear
15. The O’s – We are The O’s
16. Sons of Bill – One Town Away
17. Drive by Truckers – The Fine Print
18. The Gourds – Haymaker!
19. Scott Warren – Quick Fix Bandage
20. Patterson Hood – Murdering Oscar
21. Charlie Robison – Beautiful Day
22. Lucero – 1372 Overton Park
23. Danny Balis – Too Much Living
24. Chad Price – Smile Sweet Face
25. Dawes – North Hills
About the author: I likes me some wine, women and waffles, not always in that order (but usually). Chaucer is cool, but fart jokes are even better. You feel like spikin' your country with a little soul or mix in a little rock without the roll? Lemme hear from ya!!