Another winter passes without disappointment. There were some expected solid records like those from Tift Merritt, Gary Louris, Kathleen Edwards and the Drive-by Truckers. Some breaking artists like Liam Finn, The Whigs, Mando Saenz and Justin Townes Earle. Some surprises from Counting Crows, The Black Crowes and Seven Mary Three. And some that simply made a big impression on me like Marah, Missy Higgins, Richard Julian, Sean Costello and Shawn Mullins. And of course a few more in between to round up a disc’s worth of great winter tunes to carry you through Spring.
As always, this mix is available for preview on iTunes.
Best of Winter 2008, Tom’s Mixtape
- “Second Chance”, Liam Finn
- “Cowboys”, Counting Crows
- “Angels On a Passing Train”, Marah
- “I Never Want to Go Home”, The Whigs
- “The Wrong Girl”, Missy Higgins
- “Out of Time”, Jason Collett
- “Seven Dollars”, Mando Saenz
- “Broke”, Tift Merritt
- “True Blue”, Gary Louris
- “A Thousand Days”, Richard Julian
- “Asking for Flowers”, Kathleen Edwards
- “Your Reverie”, Kelley Stoltz
- “Lay Back Down”, Eric Lindell
- “Shake (Yo Mama)”, North Mississippi Allstars
- “Same Old Game”, Sean Costello
- “Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution”, The Black Crowes
- “Last Kiss”, Seven Mary Three
- “Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife”, Drive-By Truckers
- “Who Am I to Say”, Justin Townes Earle
- “Home”, Shawn Mullins
What artists impressed you in Winter ’08?
About the author: Washington, D.C. area web designer by day. Music freak by night. I host Twangville‘s weekly Readers‘ Pick.