We get a lot of interesting press releases in our virtual Twangville mailboxes. Some are so entertaining that they should be shared in their entirety. Anybody got any other mondegreens?
Celebrate Punctuation Day with the iTunes Playlist from SpinVox
Party Down with Culture Club’s “Comma Chameleon,” Rihanna’s “Bracket Off” and More.
Atlanta – 24 September 2008.
Everybody who’s anybody knows September 24 is National Punctuation Day. This year, voice-to-content messaging leader SpinVox invites Americans to celebrate National Punctuation Day (NPD) with a very special playlist of songs that will inspire them to punctuate with panache!
With the SpinVox Punctuation Playlist on iTunes, guys, gals, and grammarians alike can celebrate the beauty of English Grammar. So take a seat, sit back and listen to our favorite songs with punctuation on your mind, and you may hear mondegreens (the mishearing or misinterpretation of a lyric in a song) like:
1. Comma Chameleon aka Karma Chameleon (Culture Club)
2. Semi-Colon Life aka Semi-Charmed Life (Third Eye Blind)
3. Hyphen Everywhere aka I’ve Been Everywhere (Johnny Cash)
4. Run-On with the Devil aka Running with the Devil (Van Halen)
5. Apostrophe in Effect aka Posse in Effect (Beastie Boys)
6. Enter Ampersand aka Enter Sandman (Metallica)
7. Monster Dash aka Monster Mash (Bobby Boris Pickett)
8. Bracket Off aka Break It Off (Rihanna)
9. London Colon aka London Calling (The Clash)
10. Our Ellipsis are Sealed aka Our Lips are Sealed (The Go-Gos)
We’re not the only ones celebrating correct grammar, the SpinVox Punctuation Playlist also includes hits from artists whose songs would not be the same without punctuation playing a big part of the title. The “top of the class” for punctuation in music this year are:
1. Up the Bracket (Libertines)
2. Country Grammar (Nelly)
3. Rankin’ Full Stop (The English Beat)
4. 5:15 (The Who)
5. Start! (The Jam)
6. Where Is the Love? (Black Eyed Peas & Justin Timberlake)
7. Oops!…I Did It Again (Britney Spears)
8. Run It! (Chris Brown)
9. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)
10. Whoomp! There It Is (Tag Team)
“As the leading provider of voice-to-content, we understand the importance of punctuation for clear communication,” said Christina Domecq, SpinVox co-founder and CEO. “We came up with our very own playlist to get people to subconsciously think about punctuation while getting their groove on; perhaps they’ll hear the same fun messages we hear.”
The SpinVox Punctuation Playlist can be downloaded on iTunes here.
SpinVox is a sophisticated mobile service that converts voice messages into text messages that may be delivered via email, SMS and blogs. The SpinVox service even punctuates better than people! (Well, most people.)
Anyone can get SpinVox by visiting www.spinvox.com. SpinVox is available to Alltel and Cincinnati Bell subscribers as an unlimited service for $5.99 per month. SpinVox is free to anyone wishing to use the service to update their blog or social network.
About the author: Mild-mannered corporate executive by day, excitable Twangville denizen by night.