Here it is. Part 2 of the two part Soul Collection playlist series. Whereas the first soul playlist was geared toward the softer side of soul, ‘The Groove’ is meant to get you jammin’. And if it doesn’t get you movin’ you might just want to prick yourself just to make sure you’re still alive.
Like the first playlist, this one is the result of reader suggestions in our soul inspiring giveaway promotion for Marc Broussard’s “S.O.S.: Save Our Soul” CD.
Suggestions that made the list are “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” (me, Sonic), “Cool Jerk” (Mayer), “Take a Letter Maria” (Mayer) and “Sweet Soul Music” (Mayer). Thanks to everyone who participated.
- “I Got the Feeling” by James Brown
- “What’d I Say, Pt. 1” by Ray Charles
- “Barefootin'” by Robert Parker
- “You Met Your Match” by Stevie Wonder
- “Kissing My Love” by Bill Withers
- “Snatching It Back” by Clarence Carter
- “Tell Mama” by Etta James
- “In the Midnight Hour” by Wilson Pickett
- “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations
- “Twenty Five Miles” by Edwin Starr
- “Knock On Wood” by Eddie Floyd
- “If I Could Build My Whole World Around You” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
- “Groove Me” by King Floyd
- “Baby, Baby, Baby” by Sam Cooke
- “Respect Yourself” by The Staple Singers
- “Who’s Making Love” by Johnnie Taylor
- “Open the Door to Your Heart” by Darrell Banks
- “Sweet Soul Music” by Arthur Conley
- “Show Me” by Joe Tex
- “Take a Letter Maria” by R.B. Greaves
- “Cool Jerk” by The Capitols
- “Do the Funky Chicken” by Rufus Thomas
- “Mustang Sally” by Wilson Pickett
- “Love and Happiness” by Al Green
As usual, I put together a “Soul Collection: The Grove” iMix at the iTunes store for song previews. Keep an eye out for the follow up video companion.
Which of your favorites didn’t make the list?
About the author: Washington, D.C. area web designer by day. Music is my muse. I host Twangville‘s weekly Readers‘ Pick.