I have been trying and trying to listen to some new releases lately, but my 3 year old daughter insists that we listen to Christmas music. About 3 weeks ago I checked out an Ella Jenkins disc of holiday tunes for her from ye ole public library, and that has not left my car speakers when she’s in the back seat. Even when sitting down at my computer at home she demands we listen to “her music.” Now, I have previewed a couple of new releases such as Dave Rawlings Machine and I See Hawks In L.A., but, in connection with the season, and my listening habits as of late, I thought I’d put together a list of a few of my favorite Christmas tunes for you all to peruse. Let me know what you think and reply with your favorites in the comments.
1. Merry Christmas, Baby/The Beach Boys – Warm and sunny Christmas in California with classic harmonies and instrumentation, the Beach Boys bring it home. Wilson penned with Mike Love on vocals.
2. Blue Christmas/Elvis Presley – You can’t go wrong with Elvis under the tree. The cracks and pops on the vinyl are warmer than chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
3. Come On Christmas/Dwight Yoakam – The horn solo always knocks me out and the jazzy, mellow, feel of this one will put tears in your eggnog as you long for New Years Day.
4. Merry Christmas from the Family/Robert Earle Keen – There are some classic lines here that conjure up a Grizwall Christmas with Cousin Eddie in tow. Cheers Clark!
5. Christmas in Dixie/Alabama – My mom had the Alabama Christmas cassette and I can still here it pumpin’ in the old red Buick Century as we headed to K-Mart. Tennessee Christmas is also a great one on this release.
About the author: To change this standard text, you have to enter some information about your self in the Dashboard -> Users -> Your Profile box.