Best Album of 2012
THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLERS, The Wolf You Feed
Austin by way of Denton, these cats can rock. Pour some rock, punk, soul, and twang into the cauldron and you’ll summon THe Riverboat Gamblers. These guys are what the Kinks would sound like if they returned as zombies. The Wolf You Feed is their first full-length since 2009’s Underneath The Owl. Three years was worth the wait.
Tom’s Top 20 of 2012
- THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLERS, The Wolf You Feed
- BRANDI CARLILE, Bear Creek
- SHOVELS & ROPE, O’ Be Joyful
- GLEN HANSARD, Rhythm And Repose
- MUMFORD & SONS, Babel
- THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM, Handwritten
- KASEY CHAMBERS & SHANE NICHOLSON, Wreck And Ruin
- SARA WATKINS, Sun Midnight Sun
- THE AVETT BROTHERS, The Carpenter
- JOSHUA JAMES, From The Top Of Willamette Mountain
- LUCERO, Women & Work
- GRACE POTTER & THE NOCTURNALS, The Lion The Beast The Beat
- BOB MOULD, Silver Age
- JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now
- DR. DOG, Be The Void
- JOE PUG, The Great Despiser
- JOSHUA RADIN, Underwater
- MINDY SMITH, Self-titled
- PHILLIP PHILLIPS, The World From The Side Of The Moon
- THE DUNWELLS, Blind Sighted Faith
BONUS: Three playlists
I spent some time grouping some stand-out tracks from the year. Enjoy and follow me on Rdio.
Shaken: Rock and Soul
Chilled: Folk and Down-tempo
Click here for more Twangville Best of 2012 coverage.
About the author: Washington, D.C. area web designer by day. Music is my muse. I host Twangville‘s weekly Readers‘ Pick.